Today I launch a 90-day journey to equip and encourage you to develop a 100 Life Dreams List. My inspiration is a special life design experiment that I am conducting by living in Aspen Colorado for 3[...]
My 10-10 List
Four days ago, I kicked off the #LifeDesignWithMe 90-day adventure.
The goal is to lift your life aspirations to the point that you can name literally 100 Life Dreams. That’s right—I know it sounds crazy.
But I will show you how. And you will thank me later. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
The process of disciplined dreaming is not new to me. But I want to model a simple 10-10 List as if I am doing it for the first time.
So on the airplane today I spent the first 30 minutes and wrote down the first 10 things that I am thankful to God for that He enabled me to accomplish in life. Then I wrote down 10 things that have been in my mind but that I have never written down that I would like to do. (Even though I have lots of stuff on my bucket list already, there are always new Life Dreams emerging. Eventually you will find that 100 Life Dreams is a small list!!!)
10 Things by God’s grace I’m glad I accomplished:
- I collected almost every Lincoln penny before 5th grade. I was a nerd and didn’t care. (I still need a 1909 v.d.b. Lincoln cent.)
- I got a job at a ski shop (the Ski Bum in Chadds Ford, PA) in high school to live the dream of opening a mountain biking department for the store. I thought It was my only way to afford my own bike, but my parents bought me one for my college graduation!
- Harvey Nowland invited me to preach at the Willowdale Chapel as a untrained college student. I was scared to death, but I did it. It was on the topic of eternal perspective.
- I completed a 5-year ThM from Dallas Seminary due to the gracious support of 4 individuals; the Tebo’s, the Vansant’s and my Uncle Tom and Aunt Diane.
- I followed God’s prompting to start an evangelist bible study in League City, TX and 10 neighborhood couples showed up. It was the most life-changing small group I led as a full-time pastor.
- I started my own consulting company at age 35, and it worked (Auxano). Several people inspired me to do this including, Howard Hendricks, Tom Haynes, Aldie Beard, Kevin McCarthy and Aubrey Malphurs.
- My mentor Aubrey Malphurs invited me to co-author a book with him (Building Leaders). That would change my life.
- I took my first 3 kids (now I have 4) on a week long snowboarding adventure every other year growing up after Jacob turned age nine.
- I took my wife Romy on an a “life dream”trip to Santorini. We clapped and cheered every night for 7 perfect sunsets. (Many people considered it a risky time to go to Greece but I'm so glad I went!)
- I spent a “dream week on the beach” with my Mom and Dad for their 50th wedding anniversary to celebrate their amazing love for one another and the godly heritage they passed on to our family.
10 Things that are in my head that I have not written down yet:
- I want to take an art history course.
- I want to partner with a friend to do more real estate investments.
- I want to further activate my wife’s amazing capacity to “express compassion” through a third world ministry experience.
- I want to create an evangelism tool that uses the meaning of names to start spiritual conversations.
- I want to be painter some day.
- I want to remove every barrier to being with all of my children, their spouses and their children at the same time, one week per year.
- I want to take an interior decorating class. (Don’t judge me.)
- I want to regularly get 20 feet of air on kite board.
- I want to design my own super sustainable home that can go off-grid after I hit age 60.
- I want to start a church training center that trains 18 church leaders every week for 40 weeks a year.
Alright, stop stalling. Quit dabbling. Please don’t settle any longer. Dreaming is free. Get started. Write your 10-10 List now. It took me 30 minutes and it moved me to tears. What are you waiting for.
When you are finished send me a picture!!!