#1 Programs don't attract people; people attract people (Aubrey Malphurs)#2 Think steps not programs; strategy makes the next step simple, easy, and obvious. (Andy Stanley)#3 Strategy is a[...]
I am meeting with a pilot group of 12 churches and 12 consultant-practitioners known as Future Travelers. The group is led by Alan Hirsch. The 12 churches are large growing mega-churches that represent 90,000 in weekend attendance. Some of the churches involved include:
- Austin Stone
- Christian Community Church
- Rock Harbor
- Granger Community Church
- Seacoast Church
- Kennsington Community Church
- Mountain Lake Church
- West Ridge Church
What's exciting about this group, is that these churches, most considered to be thought-leaders, are not satisfied with their current strategy. They are pushing the envelope of strategy in the name of things like "missional community" and "apostolic movement."
KEY QUESTIONS WE'RE ASKING
- How does our declining church influence in our leading cultural cities, help us wake-up to the enormous need for completely new strategies? Right now we are in San Francisco which has a 4-6% churched from an evangelical perspective.
- As we develop new strategies, how do we keep mission as the organizing principle of all we do? (That is, how are we thinking missional not just talking missional.)
- If our best church models will not even come close to touching 40% of our culture, how do we reach the other 60%? Here is a post from Tim Stevens on "The Shrinking 40."
- How do we get our best churches to a place of re-imagining the future and not just improving existing methods?
- How do we leverage the platform of the "attractional," mega-church to integrate and launch initiatives that multiply the mission with new "incarnational" strategies.
- Is the multi-site "strategy of the day" just a stepping stone to a more viral and exponential strategy to expansion that could be captured by the progression: MEGA > MULTI > MICRO. Read Todd Wilson's Micro Manifesto.